- Coatings: to improve UV resistance, sandability, chemical resistance and gloss control, to increase density, and as a cost-effective replacement for precipitated baryte.
- Polymers: to improve sound proofing in plastics and opacity in resin systems, to increase weight, and as a cost-effective replacement for precipitated baryte.
- Automotive: to improve friction in brake linings.
Key characteristics of natural baryte include:
- high inertness
- high density, resulting in low oil absorption
- medium Mohs hardness of 3
- high refractive index of 1.64
- easy wetting
- easy dispersion